Legal Counsel at MasterCard
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 5 years
- Location: Lagos
- Job Field: Law / Legal
- Reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel (West Africa), the role will be responsible for a providing high quality legal advice and support to key stakeholders within the Foundation’s business across this region.
- This role is also responsible for reviewing and advising on vendor contracts and where relevant, funding contracts, and providing legal support, with a particular emphasis on Africa operations in the region.
- The successful candidate will be based in Nigeria.
Ways You Can Contribute
- Provide legal support on projects, programs and other transactions related to the Foundation’s Africa operations in the West, Central and Northern region.
- Participate in various projects as legal support for the Foundation.
- Proactively identify, analyze and respond to legislative developments affecting the Foundation in the region.
- Provide support in policy discussions and negotiations with officials internally and externally, developing relationships with members of the legal profession and lawyers working in development external law firms and/or partner agencies.
- Negotiate and review region-based vendor contracts and communicate feedback appropriately.
- Collaborate with Legal and Compliance team in providing support to country and program teams in review of funding proposals and new program areas.
- Monitor contract and regulatory compliance on program implementation and related risk management issues.
- Ensure contracts are in line with the Foundation policies, procedures and strategic objectives.
- Champion a values-based compliance culture as our organization evolves.
- Collaborate with Legal and Compliance Team to maintain and upgrade funding documentation.
- Support the continuous improvement of legal processes and procedures.
- In partnership with the business leaders and external partners co-create the design and support the implementation of Compliance programs.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Who You Are
- Degree in law (LLB or JD) or another relevant field is required.
- Member in good standing of a Law Society.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a reputable firm or in-house position with a demonstrated record of success in the region.
- Experience in charitable and non-profit law is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in corporate, commercial, and key legal and regulatory considerations relevant to the region.
- Experience working in a start-up or ‘build’ environment.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills.
- Strong leadership, organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills and is open and receptive to feedback.
- Must be fluent in English (and French for West, Central, North region).
- Ability to challenge appropriately and voice alternative perspectives and viewpoints.
- Ability to exercise appropriate and sound judgement and discretion in dealing with legal matters.
- Results driven; Motivated by a high sense of performance excellence and a sense of urgency.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial; can formulate and develop new or creative approaches to problems and inspires others on the team to do so as well.
- Professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to MasterCard on boards.greenhouse.io to apply